Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation
Pentland is the name behind some of the world’s best sports, outdoor and fashion brands.
We own Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Speedo, Boxfresh, Ellesse, KangaROOS, Mitre, Prostar and Red or Dead. We are also the global licensee for Lacoste Chaussures and Ted Baker footwear, the UK licensee for Kickers, and are shareholders in other companies such as Hunter, Butterfly Twists, Heidi Klein and Tracksmith.
We’re a third-generation, family-owned business – and we retain strong family values. We care about people, and that’s what drives our day-to-day work. This year the Great Place to Work® Institute recognised Pentland Brands the 11th Best Workplace in the UK and the 16th Best Workplace in Europe. Our global headquarters is in the UK and we employ 2,000 people across 20 countries around the world.
We believe that doing business the right way, with respect for people and the environment, is essential for ensuring our long-term sustainability - generation after generation. The Pentland values are at the heart of what we do and how we interact with the world around us.
For further information, please visit www.pentland.com.
Key Purpose of Job:
This commercial sales role will support Pentland’s strategy in delivering breakthrough results & performance within the Active Division. This role will ensure the customer plan is delivered working closely with key functions of S&P, Marketing, Customer Finance and Product Management, both internally and externally. Working across assigned customers this role is responsible for delivery of sales, profit, execution of initiatives and brand presence to agreed KPI’s of our annual and 1-3-year joint business plan.
· Accountability for the sales, profit, brand presence and KPI’s of Pentland brands business within the Active division for the assigned customers – monitor, challenge and lead course-correction recommendations as required.
· Lead the creation and implementation of ambitious long-term growth strategies for the brands to maximise revenue opportunities, manage the cost base of the business and achieve sustainable profits and also provide a stable platform for the expansion of the business long term.
· Design, deliver and execute aligned customer joint business plans (1-3 years) that deliver against the financial, go to market / brand presence and efficiency targets.
· Partner with the shopper marketing manager to execute a tailored, annual customer marketing plan aligned to the customer business plan; ensuring more Pentland propositions are in front of more consumers
· Support and deliver annual trade terms negotiations, lead creative thinking behind trading variables and ensure legal compliance in line with Pentland strategy leveraging value from our commercial agreements to best market our brands and drive consumer experience.
· To manage the investment within the account (including all discretionary spend and cost prices) ensuring we maximise return and deliver the agreed sale/profit targets.
· Utilise data and insight to scope, recommend and execute plans/opportunities/mitigate risk and drive efficiency opportunities within assigned customers across the Pentland brands business for all areas of the business from shopper marketing to operations.
· Build trust with the retailer to create joint value, influence strategic decisions and lead the delivery of objectives through an accelerated joint business plan.
· Manage the sell-in process of Active Brands ensuring delivery of key propositions through use of a persuasive selling framework.
· Responsibility for internal influence & engagement across the customer function and division to align and deliver plans & to bring in a deep understanding of customer & shopper needs into Pentland.
· To take overall responsibility for Active Brands procurement and analysis of sell-in, sell out, stock turn and order book management including overdue order book, customer marketing plan and all assigned KPI’s partnering with Sales & Planning function.
· Line management responsibilities
Needs to have
· Proven track record of managing and delivering results as a National Account Manager
· Ability to build a persuasive selling story
· Experience of negotiation
· Strong Influencing skills – ability to influence internally and externally
· Commercial acumen - Understanding of broader business financial principles and how to manage profitability to achieve financial gains
· Shopper/category management understanding/experience
· Ability to utilise market / industry / competitor insight to challenge and influence our category / channel / regional strategies and execute consumer focused propositions with customers
· Ability to analyse, spot trends and build a compelling commercial argument
· Experience of working in a multi-functional team & working in a matrix environment to deliver results
· Experience of delivering robust brand activation plans within a customer
· Strong communication skills both internally & externally to manage multiple stakeholders
· Strong planning and organisational skills with ability to manage and deliver multiple projects
· Knowledge and understanding of competition law
· Prepared to travel within the UK/Ireland as required by the role
· Previous line management experience (advantageous but not essential)
Needs to be
· An ambassador for Pentland Brands, role modelling the organisational values and One Pentland approach
· Demonstrates a passion for bringing the voice of the customer in to the business
· Confident, professional and articulate
· Challenge and recommend new ideas and be willing to take risks to drive strategies and efficiencies
· Highly numerate, analytical and comfortable using data and insight to inform thinking and build compelling relevant commercial arguments
· High tenacity & passion to achieve via influence
· Pro-active, exceptionally well organised and able to prioritise behind areas adding greatest Pentland value
· Able to work both independently as well as being a great team player
· Seeks collaboration across cultures, brands and functions to deliver results
· Strong stakeholder management skills
· Able to liaise and influence with people at all levels
· Ability to build and lead a team
· Ability to build partnership and trust with a customer/partner
· Solution mind-set
· Flexible in approach and ‘can do’ attitude