Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation
Pentland is the name behind some of the world’s best sports, outdoor and fashion brands.
We own Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Speedo, Boxfresh, Ellesse, KangaROOS, Mitre, Prostar and Red or Dead. We are also the global licensee for Lacoste Chaussures and Ted Baker footwear, the UK licensee for Kickers, and are shareholders in other companies such as Hunter, Butterfly Twists, Heidi Klein and Tracksmith.
We’re a third-generation, family-owned business – and we retain strong family values. We care about people, and that’s what drives our day-to-day work. This year the Great Place to Work® Institute recognised Pentland Brands the 11th Best Workplace in the UK and the 16th Best Workplace in Europe. Our global headquarters is in the UK and we employ 2,000 people across 20 countries around the world.
We believe that doing business the right way, with respect for people and the environment, is essential for ensuring our long-term sustainability - generation after generation. The Pentland values are at the heart of what we do and how we interact with the world around us.
For further information, please visit www.pentland.com.
Key Purpose of Job:
To contribute in the development of the overall brand plan, leading on a particular brand or category perspective where appropriate or required, under the management of the Brand Director or Senior Brand Manager.
Accountable for the timely delivery – from creation through to execution – of marketing activity that elicits shift in consumer behaviour required by the brand’s strategy, ensuring plans can be appropriately commercialised by the customer team to achieve short and long-term sales, profit and brand KPI targets.
· Working collaboratively with the Insight function be the expert on consumer, category and market to define the growth opportunities within the category and for the brand.
· In collaboration with Brand Director and Brand Development Director play a lead role in the development of the Global Brand Strategy
· Ensure that all activity and spend on the brand is in service of the Brand Plan and be firm in stopping anything that isn’t.
· Support the Brand Director (or Senior Brand Manager) in driving the execution of the Brand Plan through cross functional briefing and leadership of teams (both internal and external)
· Lead specific projects or initiatives through strong project management to deliver against assumptions and timings set out in the business case.
· Support and execute marketing campaigns, in line with communication strategy and brand communication idea on time, to budget to deliver against pre-defined ROI metrics
· Regular review and audit to ensure the brand is delivering a consistent consumer & shopper experience (Brand guardian) ensuring all communications and visual identity across all touch points are on brand and consistent
· Support the Brand Director (or Senior Brand Manager) to ensure campaign or initiative KPI’s are set in line with overall brand KPIs and monitored to instigate course-correcting action when required.
· Work closely with Sales & Planning, Customer Shopper Marketing & Digital functions to ensure that the Go-to-market plans are aligned to the brand plan on an on-going basis
· Alignment & management of consumer activities in all markets (outside of shopper marketing & digital)
· Play an active role in delivering the Pentland way of marketing and the embedding of new ways of working and processes to help the organisation achieve its desired operating model quickly.
· Brand guardian - the day to day contact for distributors or license partners
· Monthly tracking & reconciliation of brand management budgets.
· The cross-functional team that delivers the brands plans; direct in-brand teams (product management and design), group capabilities (e.g. Insights, Innovation, Sales & Planning, Digital, Shopper Marketing), group services (e.g. Creative Agency) and key external agency partners.
· Consumer functional leaders as well as key colleagues across other functional teams (e.g. Supply Chain, HR, Finance)
Needs to have
· Experience in brand management, brand positioning and proposition development
· Good level of commercial acumen with proven experience of managing marketing budgets and P&L accountability.
· Experience of delivering brand growth through use of all aspects of the marketing mix (pricing, product, innovation, distribution and communication).
· Experience of working with insight & developing insight driven activity.
· Exposure of working on consumer communications & advertising’s development.
· Experience in managing cross agency teams to develop and execute multi-channel marketing campaigns
· Experience of matrix working in a complex business
· Experience of operating in varied business models (licensed, distributer, wholesale, retail)
· Experience of managing projects with multiple stakeholders and a proven track record of delivery
· Experience of managing and developing direct reports
Needs to be
· Action focused; able to get things done at pace to a high quality
· Situationally adaptive. Curious (open minded) but decisive (drives to action) while able to switch from broad, strategic thinking to operational pragmatism.
· Great communicator with an ability to turn strategies into clear simple, actionable plans.
· Able to integrate, operate and influence inside and outside the business, building relationships and trust across business levels and diverse cultures and markets.
· Passionate & positive; Wanting to progress with a ‘can do’ approach to work, problem solving and decision making
· Adaptable; able to switch onto different initiatives quickly when the need arises
Measures of success
· Development and delivery of their owned aspects of brand plans and KPIs (e.g. commercial growth & contribution, brand equity and market share) to deliver against the brand’s objectives.
· Specific marketing activity is delivered against clear KPIS (Financial and Brand Equity)
· Plans and activity aligned to brand’s positioning.
· All resources (time and investment) are demonstrably in service of the brand plan.
· Noticeable, measurable shift in the performance of marketing activity.
· Cross functional (internal and external) colleagues are always informed, clear and feel connected behind a clear plan.